Saturday, February 4, 2012

Gumamela


Here in Bohol, no matter how modest the houses, the yards, however, are oftentimes adorned with fruit-bearing trees and attractive flowering plants.  The gumamela is one of those commonly found in the local gardens and yards.  

From what I was told, Boholanos nurture a certain belief that a beautifully tended yard will mesmerize the uninvited spirits who come calling at night; hence, captivated by the luscious scents and colors of the fruits and flowers, they will no longer venture inside the house.

The gumamela's scientific name is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis and it belongs to the Malvaceae plant family. It’s also commonly known as hibiscus, Chinese Rose and the Shoe Flower, because it can be used as a shoe polisher. Aside from shoe polish, certain gumamela flower concoctions are used for hair care. They are also edible and used in salads, as long as the plant has not been sprayed with insecticides.

The hibiscus is also quite reknowned.  It is the city flower of Manila, the national flower of Malaysia, and the state flower of Hawaii.

Aside from its popular ornamental uses, here in the Philippines, the gumamela is also used for its folkloric healing efficacies.  The gumamela leaves, flowers and roots are commonly used for their medicinal values, such as emollient, expectorant, diuretic, anti-infectious antipyretic, anodyne, anti-inflammatory, to name a few.

The flower also comes in a variety of colors, while its petals in different patterns and colors as well.  You can see its various images here.

* * *

The Creative Exchange

Ruby Tuesday




* * *

Please note:
I very much appreciate my articles and photos appearing on fellow bloggers' sites, popular broadsheets, and local broadcast news segments, but I would appreciate even more a request for permission first.
Thank you!

*

18 comments:

  1. What a lovely story about hibiscus keeping out the spirits at night.
    Thanks for all the information.
    Love the focus on the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DebC!

      Those kind of stories I'd like to know more about from the locals so I can better understand and appreciate their culture.

      Delete
  2. The hibiscus is certainly a stunning and remarkable plant! Beautiful red in your capture! Thanks for all the interesting info.
    P.S. My husband's grandfather came to the US from the Philippines. It is our hope to someday visit your country :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Anna, but I think I like the yellow hibiscus more so than red.

      When you're ready come to Bohol. It's nice and safe here. And the local folks are very friendly.

      Delete
  3. we used to pound the blossom and add it to soapy water and create bubbles - a fun way to while the summer days during my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! You just made me remember what my sister and her friends used to do with these flowers :)

      Delete
  4. Great photo of the hibiscus, love the variety of colours they come in too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea that they come in various colors. I was always under the impression that red was its only color.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous flower and how the beauty "mesmerizes unwanted spirits" Will have to remember that in my spring planting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes ... make your garden as beautiful as possible and they need not venture anywhere else :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    Thank you for stoping by my blog!
    Here hibiscus bloom during summertime... they remind me of hot days and sunny weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They blossom year round here in Bohol, Amiana. I have to look for the yellow variety seedling so I can plant them.

      Delete
  8. Striking colour and beautiful perspective of this radiant flower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a beautiful red flower, miss seeing that :-) Visiting from Ruby Tuesdays 2, hope that you can return the visit too.

    http://www.adventurousjessy.com/2012/02/thank-you-mommy-ruby.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you gone to Ubay? There is a city going there (I just forgot the name) where the roadsides are full of Gumamela. The Gumamela looked like walled of the road. Very refreshing for the travelers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an information post! I did not know any of those things!

    ReplyDelete