Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Niko Burrito


Right after a friend gave me a puppy for my birthday, my brother handed me a calling card of a psychiatrist.  His forte: helping patients cope with the loss of a beloved pet. My brother advised me rather sternly to keep the card because I might need it someday. However, I was too excited on having this puppy to be bothered by some grim prospect, but I kept the card anyway for good measure.

Another good friend, paid for the puppy's obedience training. However, two months into it, I had it stopped. He was becoming a little too disciplined; acting like a grown-up dog. Also, he seemed terrified by his trainer whom we suspected in jest of harboring Gestapo-like sentiments. After about a week of not seeing Hans the trainer, he seemed to enjoy his puppyhood once again.

Named Niko Burrito on his American Kennel papers, I took him along with me to work and shopping trips during the first three years of his life. Surpisingly, as he became more socially adept with people and other dogs, we got invited to silly dog birthdays and other bizarre Manhattan private events for dogs. In the end, Niko seemed happiest when it was just the two of us strolling at Central Park.

One summer afternoon, while sitting on a bench at the corner of Central Park West and 72nd Street, enjoying some ice cream -- one for me and another for him -- this little old lady walked over and started berating me for feeding Niko a coneful of ice cream.  Well, that was the end of his ice cream treats.

He had his medical and periodontal check-ups on a regular basis. His veterinarian was rather grumpy and abrupt with people, but simply amazing with animals! At some point, when he recommended that Niko got neutered, it took me some months to agree to it.  I mean, how many guys would readily agree to such thing.

For his grooming needs, a gay couple who operated a pet salon in Chelsea took care of that. And if I were too busy to take Niko myself, for a fee, they would send a dog taxi to pick him up. My doorman would fetch Niko from my apartment and hand him over to the driver. I would then pick him up from the salon right after work. If the weather was good, we would walk home from Chelsea.

As for his apparel needs, he had ample supply of sweaters, raincoats, trendy collars, and rubber boots to protect his paws from the salt used to melt the snow. Almost all of these items were gifts; I would be too embarrassed to walk into one of New York’s specialty pet boutiques to rummage through doggy clothing and accessories. Except for the sweaters, he hated the rest, especially the frivolous costumes he had to wear to doggy theme parties. It was a struggle to put that stuff on him. Eventually, we managed to avoid attending those parties by hiding out at my brothers’ house in New Jersey during the weekends.

In return for all of this, Niko showered me with unconditional love. He was the only one I ever lived with who easily forgave me for my shortcomings. Living with Niko also gave me the wisdom to never ask any single Manhattan female to choose between me and her pet dog.

Niko, at 17, died of heart ailment a month after 9/11. What a year that was.  But what I find strange is that after all those years, to this day, he still appears in my dreams every now and then.  Once I was asked if dogs have a soul, I merely replied, “Why not get one to find out for yourself?”

Cocker spaniels usually have a lifespan of only 14 or 15 years, but thanks to his highly skillful but grouchy veterinarian he lived a longer, healthy life.  Besides, I fed him mostly Eukanuba and a bowl of boiled rice with eggs and adobo sauce every Saturday.  Eukanuba even sent him a sack of of their specially-blended dog food for seniors after they received a picture of him at age 12, that I had sent them.

I never felt any need to call the psychiatrist on the card my brother gave me. Actually, it was my brother who was so grief-stricken.  He cried as he wrapped Niko (with his much-beloved Armani jacket) when he brought him to the animal clinic for funeral arrangements. The kids in the apartment building also shed tears when told Niko had died.  My mother told me all this because I was vacationing in Manila at that time.

I was not emotionally devastated by Niko’s passing, for I knew it was his time, and I was consoled with the fact that I took very good care of him.  I even appreciated that Niko opted to die while I was away on vacation.  You see, a couple of months before, Niko suddenly made an alarming howl of what seemed to be of deep pain.  When I ran over to his bed, his body was frozen, but his eyes were wide open -- reflecting intense fear.  I rushed him to his doctor who confirmed that Niko's heart had started to weaken, and coupled with his advanced age, he may not have that much time ahead of him.  That was when I cried as I hugged Niko tightly against my chest.

Niko and I had lots of fun times together.  In fact, I was accused by some of treating Niko as a child more so than as a dog. Be that as it may, I ignored them because only true dog lovers would understand such relationship.

When the time is right, I’ll probably get a new puppy.





* * *


Sharing with Weekly Top Shot, Finagle a Foto, Photo Story Friday, Sweet Shot Tuesday,

*


Please note:
I very much appreciate my articles and photos appearing on fellow bloggers' sites, popular broadsheets, and local broadcast news segments, but I would appreciate even more a request for permission first.
Thank you!

17 comments:

  1. Ooooh, so sorry to hear of Niko's passing. I lost my little guy a year and a half ago so I really do understand your post. Thanks so much for stopping by highpointcircle and I do hope you'll come again. You can read about our pet too, if you'd like http://highpointcircle.blogspot.com/2011/05/farewell-to-friend.html.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read about Tucker. What an adorable dog he was, Robin. I'm sure he had brought much love into your lives as Niko had done. Many thanks and God bless!

      Delete
    2. Never felt any desire to get another puppy, yet, Robin. Perhaps, it's the responsibility of caring for a dog is what I find daunting at the moment. Who knows? Maybe during retirement would be the ideal time.

      Delete
  2. That was a great post truly written from the heart! I can only imagine what a great little guy Niko was...you were so lucky to have had eachother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you may have already known, Helene, New Yorkers can be aloof and seem indifferent even to their next door neighbors. This is the result of living in a "vertical" city, I guess. But with Niko's affable personality (he probably thought he was the mayor of the block and our apartment building), people instantly loved him, and in the process, I got to know many folks in the neighborhood -- on account of him.

      Delete
  3. There is nothing like the love of a dog... I've had always had at least one dog all my life and I'm 62 now... I hope you find just the right furry friend when it's time... Thank you for sharing on Weekly Top Shot #48!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Madge. You're right, nothing like it, indeed!

      Delete
  4. You have so many wonderful remembrances of Niko. You must have been a wonderful friend to Niko.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he was to me, too, EG! Yes ... miss him to this day :)

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post. So touching. We had a yellow lab that my husband used to say, "this isn't a dog, it's a child in a dog costume" We loved that dog with all that we had, and I feel your pain. Joining you from finagle a foto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I've replied to Robin, our fellow blogger, MG, it isn't so much the pain of losing another beloved pet that prevents me from getting another puppy, but the responsibility of raising another at this time is what I find daunting. However, perhaps, during retirement, I will get another, for I'll have lots of free time by then.

      Delete
  6. I'm So sorry for your loss :(( What a beautiful pup!! That face sunk me RIGHT in and I totally can relate! This post was simply EXCELLENT.. Wish I could hug ya.. Even after all that is said, I'll have to let you know, that it's one of the BEST puppy pics I've ever seen. I LOVE it.. Featuring you as part of our FAF Top Photo's of the week.. Hope you can stop in and snag a fun button.. THANKS so much for sharing.. xo..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much for the honors, Marilyn! And check that out, even after many years since his passing, Niko still manages to bring me joy; this time, snagging a button for being part of FAF's Top Photos of the week :)

      Incidentally, when I got Niko, part of my job was to photograph and catalog the products produced by the design firm I worked for. Thus, I had practically unlimited supply of film I used to take pics of Niko from day one. And without teaching/training him, he learned to "strike a pose," as they say, whenever he sees me, co-workers, or friends taking shots of him. Some of our clients were so impressed they wanted Niko as model for magazine layout/print commercials they were producing. I turned them down because professional photo shoots can be arduous affairs. Despite the substantial fees involved, I knew Niko was not going to enjoy it.

      Many thanks once again, Marilyn!

      Delete