Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter


Seth Grahame-Smith's premise: between 1607 and 1865, for over 250 years, vampires thrived in the shadows of America, but few believed in them; Abraham Lincoln was one of the gifted vampire hunters of his day, and kept a secret journal about his lifelong war against them; and that rumors of the journal's existence have long been a favorite topic among historians and Lincoln biographers, most dismiss it as myth.

The author goes on to assert that Lincoln eventually learns the cause of his mother's death as having been instigated by a supernatural predator -- a vampire -- and this sets out the young Lincoln to a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.  

For almost two hundred years, Lincoln's personal crusade against these predators has remained in the shadows until Seth Grahame-Smith stumbled upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln.  Using the journal as a guide, the author then reconstructs the true life story of America's greatest president and reveals the role vampires played in the birth, growth and near-death of the nation.

By revising history and infusing it with horror, Grahame-Smith, has created a surprisingly engrossing and flawlessly clever story. Also, the strong link he has created between vampirism and slavery was quite astonishing.  This is undoubtedly one quick, fun read.  I highly recommend it.

The Los Angeles Times gave this book a positive review, noting that "a writer who can transform the greatest figure from 19th century American history into the star of an original vampire tale with humor, heart and bite is a rare find indeed.


* * *


Please note:

I very much appreciate my articles and photos appearing on fellow bloggers' sites, popular broadsheets, and local broadcast news segments, but I would appreciate even more a request for permission first.
Thank you!

*

4 comments:

  1. I’ve been looking for you these past years, I was wondrin’ what happenned to you. Binabalikbalikan ko minsan yung site mo to see if there’s a recent post pero wala. I would like to thank you because you’re one of the very first person who saw my potential in photography and those words really encouraged me to pursue this passion. Naalala ko yung sinabi mo sa kin before that ‘I have the eye’, ikaw ang unang nagsabi nun sa kin, then I belived in myself more. Again thank you very much sir Eric, I consider you as one of my mentor during my budding years. :)
    Glad your back to the cyberworld…:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lino,

    You certainly have it, Lino, and this was the main reason kaya panay bisita ko sa site mo even when I took a sabbatical from blogging. You are now at a level where you can pursue any direction you desire. Good luck!

    Btw Lino, I know you've been travelling a great deal, but in two years, once you have the time, come on over to Bohol with your fellow photographers and discover its beauty with your camera. You won't be disappointed.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yup, babalikan ko yang Bohol, we were there for only 3 days, but I think it's not enough...
    here are some of my takes on our trip to Bohol...

    http://linophotography.com/category/bohol/

    i think gaganahan ulit ako mag update ng photo blog ko now that you're around... hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ganda, Lino, lalo na shots mo ng mga tarsiers at yung kalye sa Chocolate Hills.

    Balik uli kayo dito because madami pang sites where you'll enjoy photographing.

    Dapat lang alagaan mo site mo, it's very nice!

    ReplyDelete